Ryan’s early photographs and films suggest that his original body type is a tall and thin ectomorph . According to the actor, he took up the first strength training only at 23, preparing to shoot in the romantic film “The Diary of Memory”.
Gosling achieved a tangible change in physical form in 2010, showing a renewed figure in the film “This Wacky Love”. Subsequent films, “Only God Will Forgive” and “The Place Beyond the Pines” showed that the sport became an integral part of his life.
The main secret of Gosling’s workouts is the emphasis on the so-called “beach training”, which works out the muscles that make the figure more triangular and V-shaped: shoulders, upper pectoral muscles, arms and abs. At the same time, training of the leg muscles is minimized.
The muscle growth caused by this type of training is primarily due to an increase in sarcoplasm, the nutrient fluid that surrounds muscle fibers . It is important that constant training will be required to maintain shape, otherwise the muscles will simply “blow out”.
Ryan Gosling’s diet
The first rule of the Beach Training Diet is to provide enough carbohydrates and protein as energy for both the workout itself and subsequent muscle growth. However, it is not recommended to exceed the daily calorie intake by more than 15%.
In addition, to work out the relief of the muscles and the press, active cardiovascular training is necessary on days free from strength training. This will help the body activate fat burning by optimizing metabolism and producing adrenaline.
Ryan Gosling’s workout program
Monday and Thursday – Chest, arms
- Incline Barbell Press – 4 x 10
- Breeding dumbbells on an incline bench – 3 x 8
- Dips with a load – 3 x 12
- Reverse grip pull-ups with a load – 3 x 10
- Triceps French Press – 3 x 12
- Hanging leg raises on the press – 3 x maximum
Tuesday and Friday – Back, Shoulders
- Pull of the bar to the belt – 4 x 10
- Pull-ups with a load – 3 x 10
- Arnold Press: Seated Dumbbell Press – 3 x 10
- Side dumbbell bent over – 3 x 8
- Lifting dumbbells in front of you – 3 x 12
- Exercise “Bicycle” – 3 x maximum
Wednesday and Saturday – Cardio, press
- Fat – Burning Interval Run – 20-25 minutes: Sprinting for 30 seconds, then walking quickly for 90 seconds, and then in a circle. It is recommended to perform on a soft natural surface (beach, lawn), and not on a treadmill (2) .
- A stand with an emphasis on the elbows (“plank”) – 5 minutes with breaks.
Sunday – rest
Workouts for the film “Only God Forgives”
In addition to strength training, after filming a rather brutal action movie “Only God Forgive” Ryan and in real life became interested in martial arts. To prepare for the painting, he did Muay Thai for 2 hours a day with his personal trainer.
The workouts themselves changed in accordance with the goals and loads – instead of daily beach training with medium weights, he switched to heavy basic exercises for gaining mass (squats, bench press, pull-ups)
Training for the film “The Place Beyond the Pines”
The role of a motorcycle stuntman in The Place Beyond the Pines reinforced Gosling’s image of a “steel guy”, while becoming yet another challenge – in addition to strength training and martial arts, he had to learn how to handle a motorcycle professionally.
For the role in the film, the actor gained more than 15 kg of muscle, focusing on basic training and active nutrition. With Blade Runner 2 starring in the lead role in 2016, we’re confident the actor will become even more powerful.
The secret to a V-shaped figure with broad shoulders, big biceps and well-developed abs is combining beach workout with cardio and diet. Despite the fact that the growth of muscles on such a program is moderate, visually the figure becomes more athletic.
- Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love
- Ryan Gosling Workout for Only God Forgives
Date of the last update of the material – October 18, 2015